The Department of Social Affairs (Referat Soziales) handles individual questions and cases regarding emerging problems of various kinds for students.
We hear out every single one of you and we are there for you - independently from your worry. Your inquest will be treated a 100% discretely and there are no requests to be ashamed of. Contact us if you do not know where else to go - even if you are not sure whether your issue is part of our range of duty.
We support you in your search for the right expert. The latter might include the university psychologist, a lawyer or various other places that can be reached for advice like the branches of the university`s so-called Campusfamilie. What topics did we engage in so-far?:
- Overdue deadlines for the grading of exams by your supervisor
- Failed exams in the 3rd try
- Failed internship o Failed bachelor/master thesis
- Exceeding the maximum number of retakes
- Living and Finances
- Housing benefit
- Notice of termination
- Delayed student registration
- Long-term study fees
- Work + Insurance
- Status as student in association with mini-job, internship, … ▪ Maximum income and working hours
- Insurance status: health insurance, other insurance
- (Chronical) illness
- Compensation of disadvantages
- Acceptance of doctor`s certificates (also in association with mental health problems, in close collaboration with the university psychologist and the psychosocial consultants)
- Breaks regarding entire semesters
- Problems of international students in close collaboration with the Department of International Affairs (Referat Internationales) (GEZ among others)
- Changing your subject of studies
- Recognition of other universities` or countries` credits
- Studying with a child/children
- Student Services (Dorms, etc.)
We treat your request discretely, assist you with drafting motions, suggest contacts, assist you in your encounters with administrations and others – also involving your Students Council and more on request.
Please also consider our semiannual scholarship mixer. Therefore, we invite different beneficiaries and scholarship representatives for a casual get-together on campus. Furthermore, we offer information events regarding examination periods at TU Ilmenau as well as relevant legal background information and regulations around it.
Contact us via mail (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org). We will get back to you as soon as possible. In case your request is very time-sensitive, we ask you to personally stop by at the Student Councils office (Basement, House A, Room 013) or contact the Student Council via phone (03677/691914).
The department of Social Affairs is strictly bound to confidentiality agreements. This is our promise to you! You still would like to talk to someone in private? Contact the head of department (email@example.com) and ask for a meeting between just the two of you.
You can join our team! We are always excited about helping hands. Since our workshops can be scheduled flexibly you can also join the department during the semester and are not bound to application deadlines.
What attributes do you have to bring along? Willingness to help, commitment to work voluntarily (for the number of hours you choose) and empathy. You will not need any prior professional knowledge.
Information events (held every semester)
Financing your studies: Loans, scholarships and more
You can find our presentation slides from the previous information event regarding financing your studies here.
Dos & Don`ts regarding the examination period, what to expect and how to prevent problems from happening as well as how to get through the examination period with ease.
This is where you can find our presentation slides from the previous information event of 11th of January regarding the examination period.
The next information events will be held within SoSe 2022. Until then contact us at any time via mail if you have any questions regarding these topics.